I’m sure that when most people want to bake some bread they fire up their oven. Not me. I fire up my crockpot. Let me explain. My husband and I are retired and we are traveling the country in our RV. I love everything about our new “home” except the oven. It is impossible for me to light. My husband can only light it if he gets down on the floor in a painful position, holds his tongue just right and says certain words!! I don’t ask very often.
We usually buy sandwich bread at the store but we like other forms of bread as well. I remembered that when crockpots first came out we used them for bread. Do you remember? They only came in the round shape and we would grease a coffee can and fill it with bread, and sometimes cake mix. So I thought, why can’t I do that with my oval crockpot? Here are the basic instructions:
- Select pans that will fit your crockpot. You want the pans to sit on the bottom of your pot so it will get the maximum heat. Prepare the pans with cooking spray or your normal method.
- Turn the crockpot to high with the lid on while you are mixing your batter. (Lid on.)
- Prepare your bread mix and fill your pan. Carefully set it in the crockpot. Don’t burn yourself. Cover.
- Cooking time will vary depending on your slow-cooker. The first few times you will have to watch it occasionally. (Glass lids are great.) When it looks like it is done, stick a toothpick in the center of your bread to check it’s progress. When it’s clean, it’s done.
- Turn the crockpot off. With pot-holders, carefully remove the bread. Don’t burn yourself.
I’m especially fond of fruit breads like this banana bread in the picture to the right. I also like zucchini,pumpkin, peach and blueberry bread/muffins.
My husband loves any form of biscuits. Here’s a picture of some biscuits I put in aluminum muffin tins that I had trimmed down a little to fit. (If you have another pan that will fit in the bottom of your crockpot, that will also work.)
We also like cornbread and corn muffins. It’s the same process. The picture below is tamale pie that calls for cornbread or muffin mix on the top. (I posted that recipe a few months back and you can find it here.)
Bread in the crockpot is another creative way to use this handy appliance. It Works For Me. For more Works For Me Wednesday visit Shannon at Rocks In My Dryer.